What are Natural Fibers?
Natural fibers come from the fibers of animal coats, plants, silkworm cocoons. They are soft, breathable, durable, and comfortable to wear. Types of natural fibers: Cashmere, leather, wool, linen, bamboo, cotton, hemp, flax, jute, alpaca, silk, ramie, rayon (manufactured from plant fibers).
Why Buy Clothing Made From Natural Fibers?
In addition to being soft and breathable, natural fibers have many benefits.
• Silk is the strongest of all the natural fibers. Silk also keeps you warm in the cold and cool in the heat.
• Leather doesn't pick up surrounding temperatures so it's comfortable in heat and cold. Leather is also elastic and soft!
• Cotton is durable, hypo-allergenic and easy to wash.
• Linen is hypo-allergenic and protects against sun radiation.
• Bamboo has antimicrobial/antibacterial properties and resists odors. It also has wicking properties and is very soft.
• Rayon is highly absorbent, easy to dye, and drapes well.
• Wool is insulating, moisture-wicking and like Bamboo, is naturally antibacterial.
• Ramie is stronger than linen or cotton and is also strong and absorbent.
Where to Buy Natural Fiber Clothing?
Well besides yours truly, ahem...Dyetology, here are some other brands/retailers that carry items from natural fibers. These are all small, woman-owned businesses as well!
• Sarah Liller - My friend Sarah makes her beautiful, comfy pieces in San Franciso. Beautiful styles, many pieces have pockets!
• Sympatico Clothing - Classic styles made from linen, hemp that are beautifully dyed and crafted, based in Oregon. I met Rose, the owner and designer, in my business group.
• Kiya Tomlin - Cool modern pieces made from Bamboo out of Pittsburgh. Another business group connection.
• Brynn Capella - My friend Brynn makes her beautiful leather handbags in Chicago.
• Buxie Jo - My Friend Kerrin makes amazing hand-dyed leather bags in Denver.
I hope you learned a thing or two that you didn't know about natural fibers and checked out one of the small businesses I listed above.
P.S - Have you joined our VIP text group yet? You can text the word JOIN to (207) 569-3370.