Style Session #3
How to Find Your Personal Style in 5 Steps
Your personal style evolves over time depending on different factors like your lifestyle or age. But one thing that is unlikely to change no matter what stage of life you are in is knowing exactly how you want others see you!It is not too late for a style makeover-learn about color schemes that align with your body shape and figure out which clothes will help show off all those endearing quirks we love so much.
There are 7 universally common style personalities with easily identifiable names, all you need to do is discover which ones fit best. Remember that we are all unique and much like with body shapes it's likely that not only one may be a perfect match and you may end up combining them. But before we get into that lets define what Personal Style is and How to find it.
What is personal style?
Style refers to a person’s particular way of expressing themselves—whether that is through clothing, writing style, or a style of architecture. In the fashion world, “style” is usually shorthand for “personal style,” or the way an individual expresses themselves through aesthetic choices such as their clothing, accessories, hairstyle, and the way they put an outfit together.
Style is timeless. A stylish person may or may not follow fashion trends, but they always stay true to their own aesthetic. Personal style is about developing a sense of self rather than simply absorbing the latest trend.
How to find your personal style in 5 easy steps?
1.Look within your closet- As you begin to think about your favorite clothes, look at what makes them so appealing. Some people may have an affinity for certain colors or patterns that make them feel good when they wear these items, but others just love the way it feels on their skin and how confident it makes them feel.
The best part is figuring out why we choose our clothing. Do you like it because of its versatility or the fact that you can throw some sneakers on and go run errands around town during the day? The choice is yours.
2. Seek fashion inspiration- Fashion is a way of expressing yourself. The best thing you can do to find ideas for your own outfit is spend some time observing those around you who have killer style—from casual outfits like crop tops and leggings, to more formal wear like blazers and turtlenecks.
Blogs are blooming with fashion tips and inspiration, so find a relatable fashion blogger whose style resonates and interest you and search through their content for your favorite outfits.If there's a celebrity whose style you admire, try to find out who their personal stylist is and see if they have any tips or advice! Fashion magazines are another great resource. Learn about different style types and identify the ones with which you most like.
3. Create a fashion mood board- A mood board is a great way to work toward developing your personal style. Once you have gathered your fashion inspiration, compile the images into an inspirational collage. Even if it feels like everything on there has nothing in common with one another, take note of all those denim jeans and color shirts that are featured prominently amongst them—those will be major themes for whatever new look you decide to create!
Choose two or three images that embody the aesthetic of the board, and keep those images on your phone so that you can look at them when you’re out clothes shopping.
4. Create a capsule wardrobe- The key to a capsule wardrobe is knowing what your favorite pieces are and building an entire closet around them. A little black dress that makes you feel like the queen of everything, a denim jacket with just enough attitude for anyone who needs it, simple T-shirts in colors so neutral they make all other clothes jealous - these basics will get along beautifully both on their own or paired together into an outfit worthy of applause! The items on this list are simple but they’ll help you show off your unique style by providing a foundation for more exciting pieces.
5. Experiment with unique style choices- You've built your go-to collection, now it is time to add some unique pieces that show off your style. There might be a little experimentation involved but remember: It is okay if you change your mind!
Personal style is all about experimenting with fashion to discover which clothes make you feel your best. Start with bold accessories and pops of color, then work on mixing textures and prints! Now that we know what and how to find your personal style, let us investigate the types of styles you can choose and feel happy rocking your style.
The 7 Most Common Personal Styles
1.Natural / Relaxed- Your easygoing nature leads you to more casual outfits. You prefer simple lines and designs, but anything too detailed or fussy is not for you. To keep your carefree attitude up while shopping in the mall, it's best that you just buy wash-and-wear garments so nothing can get between what makes this a happy time: picking out clothes!
A few of your favorite fabrics are denim, cotton jersey fabric and lightweight knits because they are perfect when it comes to being hassle free with washing them--just add water at any temperature level after wearing them once (or twice) without shrinking their size!
Your jewelry choices are telling…they're simple and durable, indicative of your minimalist style. You enjoy wearing basic accessories that can be mixed up easily without sacrificing quality or comfortability. The way you dress is always timeless!
Check out what you see here: Dyetology -The Perfect Short Sleeve Dress In Moon Stone
2. Classic/ Traditional
- You prefer understated elegance, preferring to invest in quality fabrics and timeless styles rather than jumping on trends. You gravitate towards refined clothing and prefer matching sets that are crisp but not flashy - always looking composed with an underlying sense of fun instead of uptight-ness.
You don't have to worry about your jewelry and accessory choices overshadowing the clothes you're wearing because they are always tasteful without being too flashy.
Check out what you see here: Sarah Hiller -Lana Dress
3. Artistic / Creative - You are a trendsetter who does not follow the rules of fashion or what is popular. You dress to express yourself and your unique style is always on point, even with items you get from various sources.
Different colors, textures and prints fill your wardrobe, and your jewelry collection is bold while your footwear and accessories are usually a declaration of who you are.
Find what you see here: https://dyetology.com/collections/tops-1/products/hand-dyed-french-terry-relaxed-tee-in-daydream
Check out what you see here: Dyetology- Hand Dyed Terry Relaxed Shirt in "Daydream"
4. Dramatic/ Edgy -You're a fashionista who's always on top of the latest trends. Your style is bold and you like to mix things up with both unusual pieces, as well as new colors that complement your look best.
You have an eye for detail which comes through in everything from unique jewelry to shoes made just for you! Your closet consists of many different styles because it means more variety when figuring out what goes together - all matched by adding extra details such as a bright shoe or striking lip color.
You compliment your statement making looks with jewelry and accessories in shiny metal finishes or bold one of a kind wearable art pieces.
Check out what you see here: Kiya Tomlin - Sling Tee
5. Romantic/ Feminine - You're like a ray of sunshine when you walk into the room!
Your soft appearance and love for flowing silhouettes is sure to be noticed, but your clothing choices are more than just pretty. You also have an eye for detail with bows, ruffles, pleats & lace that will add even more femininity to any outfit.
Even if you prefer simple styles in natural colors or patterns such as floral prints - they will always be beautiful on someone who knows how it feels good to look feminine without being always overly girly! You're always on the lookout for cute shoes and accessories that will make you look stylish, but never too overdressed.
Check out what you see here: Anthropologie- Eliora Off-The-Shoulder Maxi Dress
6. Alluring/Sexy- You like to make an entrance and favor bold colors. You are usually showing off your body in figure-hugging silhouettes, but you know how to work a plunging neckline or short hems when necessary.
Your preference is heels whenever possible because they add intrigue and flirtation - accessorizing does too! You're always looking your best, so it's no surprise that you have the most up-to-date beauty tips.
Check out what you see here: Modern Citizen - Yimei Side Slit Midi Dress
7. Modern/ Chic - You know what you like and have a wardrobe to match--because if you've got it, flaunt it! You're always up on the latest trends because of your love for shoes and bags. And while this means that sometimes they are basic enough to stand out from all other clothing in your closet, we don't think there's anything wrong with an outfit repetition occasionally.
You're not one for bright colors, preferring instead a more toned down look. Your jewelry choices reflect this minimal approach either with the use of a single statement piece or by balancing out some subtle pieces to create an overall cohesive feel.
Check out what you see here: J.Crew- Slim Fit Mason Tuxedo Shirt
But now that you have all these new clothes in your closet, most likely you may need some extra space…so what do you do?
How to clean your closet after finding your style?
From holding onto clothes that never get worn, to panic buying pieces with only one outing in mind - we are all guilty of making less than sensible decisions when it comes to our wardrobes. But, you don't have to be anymore! Here are 3 tips to help you create more space in your closet!
1. Don’t buy an item for just one event We’re all guilty of it.
A wedding, a Christmas party, Friday night reunion in the pub with your friend’s post-lockdown. We feel like we need something special – and therefore something new - to wear when heading somewhere exciting or trying out someplace new for drinks on Fridays after workdays off from lockdown! However as much as you love that dress you bought last week while grabbing milk before hitting up happy hour down the street…it rarely gets more than one outing because truth be told it may not fit well, or its cheap material etc…
Instead of spending all your money on something specific for certain events, try to have a few dressier pieces in your wardrobe that are more versatile. If you go for something simple and more classic, rather than trend-led, it will be easier to wear again and again so you're not throwing away any extra cash. Accessorized cleverly they'll never feel like the same look!
2. Don’t but it or keep if an item doesn’t fit right!
Rest assured, you are not the only one who is guilty of these common shopping mistakes. In fact, it’s almost like a rite of passage to have this experience at some point in your life! One might think they would know better when buying clothes that don't fit them, yet they do and end up disappointed.
It's also difficult because often times people will buy something too small as an incentive or motivation for themselves rather than just buying what their size actually requires. Moving away from old clothes is a way to make room for new ones.When it comes time to purge your closet, don't get sentimental about the items you can no longer wear—just put them on eBay or donate them so someone else can use them instead!
3. Don’t buy or keep something that doesn’t suit you.
|The clothing in our closet that we never wear is evidence of the fact that many people purchase things just because they are trendy or to impress other people. However, this simply does not work for everyone and should be avoided.
The fashion industry thrives on trends which has created a ravenous consumer culture composed of impression-seeking individuals who buy clothes based solely upon what others think about them rather than their own personal style preferences.
If you're not confident and comfortable in your own clothing, it has no place in your life.
Why Dyetology can elevate your style.
Fashion is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. PERIOD. Flaunting the fashion trends is much easier and provides more satisfaction when you know that there is a good cause behind it. That is why we, at Dyetology, have dedicated the entire mission and vision of the brand towards the new revolution of sustainable fashion. Sustainable fashion is not just a trend. It is a choice of principled existence with a conscious nod to the health and preservation of the environment. If you want to learn more about it, click here.